Tuesday 7 July 2015

Looking Back

Its almost been a whole year since William started at New Greenhall school. I remember the first days, worrying about what was ahead, would he settle with new people? Would he fit in? How would he cope with taking the bus to school? "He's too young to get on a school bus all by himself!" I remember bleating to Daddy.

We have received William's school report for the end of his first year, and as usual I prepare myself for the "report blub" which inevitably happens whenever I read things about his progress or needs, as its often daunting or upsetting. It was a great read though, detailing how much he loves school and the fantastic progress he's made this year. He is making three word sentences using PECs (cheeky git won't do that at home). Please and thankyou without prompts (cheeky git won't do that at home). Follows simple instructions straight away (cheeky git wont.... hang on there's a pattern here!).

He's very comfortable with physical things, as evidenced by the terrifying pictures sent in his schoolbag of him up a climbing wall, requiring me to down several sherries to steady my nerves after viewing.

Many things that he does in a school environment he will not do at home. We find it difficult to engage him a lot of the time, we certainly can't get him to have his face painted or wear a red nose for comic relief day. I can't even get him in his bloody school uniform, yet school have him dressed up like a star for the Christmas play, complete with tinsel halo. He did look like a slightly embarrassed (possibly traumatised) star but a very cute traumatised star at that.

At parents evening today the staff commented on how well he had matured and grown in confidence since he started. We learned that when he comes into school he will say the names of the other children as they follow him in. I've never heard William say the name of any other children at home, its as if what happens at school, stays in school, like its 2 completely separate entities for him. Which is a shame, because I love to listen to what the kids get up to. Its taken Alex to get to Year 2 for him to actually tell me what he does, up to that point it was "don't know" or "can't remember". I'd love to hear what William is involved in too.

I find it a bit sad sometimes, as school obviously get to see a side to William that I have yet to see. He loves to choose stories, he's never really done that with me and gets cross if I try and read to him. He loves to sing, again that's rare with me. I feel like I'm missing out. Apparently he enjoys anticipating what is going to happen next in a story, which the TA says is something that would usually happen at an older age which is pretty cool. Maybe he's got a great imagination. Maybe he'll one day write books about the Pontipines really being aliens and abducting Iggle Piggle, leaving secret codes in Upsy Daisys bed, which can only be revealed using Makka Pakkas sponge. Ok maybe I'm getting too excited. You never know. Maybe he'll be a rugby player, he's not soft enough for a footballer. Perhaps a shotputter, he flings the ipad hard enough.

William responds well to prompts at school, and music is often used to indicate the time of day at school, for example a song from Peter Pan is used to indicate that it's tidy up time, and he always cooperates. <Frantically searching for the bloody song on YouTube in the hope of a tidy house> I think I need a specific bedtime song because he's still swinging off the lampshade full of beans and its nearly 9pm. I may have to incorporate these techniques at home over the summer, then perhaps my blood pressure may go down. I may even.... get some sleep......

One of the most important parts of his report was the following phrase :
"He interacts in a small group of friends and actively seeks their company". Still gets me all tearry eyed now and I've had the report for a week. In the beginning when I was starting to process this whole autism thing, I found it really difficult to think that William might never really have a friendship or someone to love. I mean, to him, it might never have been important anyway. But to think of him being a loner (by choice or otherwise) was something I found deeply troubling. Seeing the early stages of forming relationships and friendships is really amazing, and encouraging that perhaps he will truly be happy in the long term.

I am eternally grateful to those people who have been involved with our family in this pivotal year. From the charities that have supported us in whatever way - Breaking Barriers North West, Love Autism in the North West, Blessings in Disguise, Embrace.

All the staff at Williams school, who have made such a difference in our little mans life and ours.
All our friends who have stuck by us and have been so understanding of my cancelled playdates when I've struggled. I know I don't see you all often enough but we're starting to really get somewhere now and I shall be pestering you all soon.
All the NEW friends! Without our exchange of stories of food theft, streaking, nappy accidents and teaching our children (accidentally) to swear, this journey would be so difficult.
All the family, who always try their hardest to include William even when its difficult, and treat him like any other pain in the arse 4.5 year old.

To Simon (Daddy) who gets me through the bad times with reasoning, hugs, coffee and peanut butter ice cream.
To Alex, the best big dude ever, who despite being under the cloud today for crossing a room by standing on furniture, is probably the biggest bundle of fun ever (squeezed in a tiny body with an enormous gob).
To William - the best little dude ever, who has taught me a lot about sominex, coffee tolerance and how amazing it is to be a little bit different.
To my dog Nibbler, who copes with being squished, chucked off the couch and trodden on, my best furry friend.

Love you all.

In a minute Wottingers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment